Wednesday 30 March 2016

Scenery: MDF Landing Pad

After a shaky start a few months back I have since fallen in love with the increasingly popular range of MDF scenery that is now available out there. It is quick to build, easily painted and eminently more affordable than it's plastic counterparts all of which are key selling points for me. The other bonus is that it isn't covered in stupid little skulls like all of GW's 40k terrain which means that I can use it in a diverse range of settings.




Here we have my latest MDF offering... a large and fairly impressive looking landing pad that is essentially a streamlined version of GW's Skyshield Landing Platform. I got this from eBay and I have been suitably impressed by it. Assembly took about an hour and painting it a further two hours so overall this was a fairly rapid project with very satisfying results.


The one slight gripe about MDF is that frequently there are obvious joins where the wooden pieces interlock with each other. In this instance the pillars that hold the structure aloft slot into the main body of the landing pad from below, meaning that each leaves six little 'join' rectangles visible around the main landing area. I could have easily ignored this marks, but instead I thought I'd put a bit of extra effort in and so I painted them as alternating red and yellow landing lights that I really think have actually enhanced the aesthetic of the overall structure.


I also created an 'H' stencil with some graph paper and then sprayed this white before overlaying it with a heavy degree of weathering to give the impression of a well used facility.

I'm really happy with how this terrain piece has turned out and I'm sure it will be forming an objective in one of my games in the near future!

4 comments:

  1. Cool bit of terrain, it looks pretty flexible. I agree, there are some great MDF sets out there and it's surprising how quickly a few pieces can fill a table. Nice work with the lights, smart way to make the faults fit in rather than look out of place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Smithy. Yep I am a full MDF convert now; it is an untapped resource. I have a few more bits that require assembly!

      Delete
  2. Cool, I love the way you sorted this, pretty interesting job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suber! And it was remarkably cheap too!!

      Delete