Sunday 11 March 2018

Rogue Trader Imperial Assassin - 1989

So to keep with last week’s Oldhammer theme I decided to crack on with another miniature that had been sitting on my work bench since this time last year!

Those of you who follow this blog regularly may remember that last year I was working on a project to paint one each of the 1996 Assassin models (Vindicare, Callidus, Eversor & Culexus) alongside their new plastic equivalents. Well I only managed to get the two Callidus and two Vindicare models done before my hobby interest wandered off! However the rest of the models are sitting primed and ready to go.







Thus as I was looking for something new to paint my eyes returned to these models and I ended up picking the grand-daddy of all assassins... the 1989 Citadel Imperial Assassin!!





This model was the original Assassin sculpt and he was released roughly midway through Rogue Trader. It is a really characterful miniature but the sculpting is a little crude so some creative brush work is needed to get the best from it (especially on the bone areas).



On reflection this is probably my favourite Assassin model as the warrior looks like a bad-ass ninja as opposed to (yet another) genetically modified killing machine. Given his weapon loadout I’ll probably field him as an Eversor.

Paint/colour-wise I stuck to the same scheme that I used on all the other Assassins; though I did introduce as new turquoise spot colour to break up the black.

I’ll be using this fella in my up and coming Rogue Trader campaign! 

I hope you like him!!

14 comments:

  1. Very nice! I always used mine as an Eversor - used to rip my mate’s Eldar to shreds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great old sculpt and you've really done it justice. Fab stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mate!! It’s great to give these old models a new lease of life!!

      Delete
  3. I love the mini. It is what it is, of course, but you certainly made the most of it. I particularly like the way you used that blue on black. Cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Suber! Yeah I had a real urge to use that blue!!

      Delete
  4. Very nice take on a classic! Goodwin could do no wrong. I see you're struggling with light values of your pics. Can't recommend Lightroom strongly enough. In 8 seconds I tweaked your more exposed of the two pics above and uploaded the result to imgur: https://imgur.com/a/zueYI

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers mate! Downloaded the app; will give it a go with my next photos

      Delete
  5. Best assassin by a mile no question !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great, especially your job on the black! That can be so hard to do right on such a large space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mate. Yeah it was a bit of trial and error to get the right black!!

      Delete