Sunday 19 November 2017

Primaris Space Marine - Crimson Fist Hellblasters

So I've been away on exercise and assorted training packages with the Army for the last month which explains my prolonged absence from this venerable blog. I'm pleased to be back home and more importantly back in my painting chair.

I've just finished my first unit of Primaris Space Marines so I thought I'd post them up here for you all to see. I initially considered starting a whole new chapter of Astartes for my Primaris models, but then I decided I'd actually prefer to slip them into my existing force of Crimson Fists and so I broke out the blue paint and went to work.

These guys are the mono-pose clip together models from the Dark Imperium box set. I'm always suspicious of these simplified miniatures as they can look a little awkward but these guys don't suffer from that at all, and I actually think their poses are spot on.

As I have recently finished off three Devastator squads I decided to stick with the Heavy Support theme and so I painted up a five man squad of Hellblasters equipped with the potent plasma incinerators. These guys should form a robust and terrifying firing-line to anchor my force with during games.


I have to say as an Oldhammer gamer I really, really love the aesthetic of the new Primaris Astartes, firstly their increased size finally means that the models match their fictional descriptions; secondly the models have a very clean, militaristic look to them. They are devoid of the skulls, scrolls and other assorted iconography that clutters a lot of contemporary Space Marine models, this returns them to the look of the original RTB-01 boxset from 1987.


I am pleased with the bright green that I used for the plasma coils as I think it offsets the blue armour of the Crimson Fists without being too over-powering. I did consider red plasma coils at one point but on reflection I thought that this would be a little too 'Chaos-y'.


Along with my aforementioned Devastators these Primaris marines will be bolstering my newly formed ninth company, hence why they are proudly displaying numerals marking them out as the fourth squad of the Heavy Support Company.


Next up I think I'm going to start work on a squad of Primaris Intercessors, again these will be the snap fit models from Dark Imperium.



21 comments:

  1. They look impressive. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mate!! They were actually a joy to paint! I really love the look of these new Primaris Marines!

      Delete
  2. Very nice! That particular style of painting demands exactness - you've executed it well. I also cut the circle away from the fist icon, just couldn't get them to sit flat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Mate! I have to say that by the end of the squad I was cursing edge highlighting... these boys have loads and loads of lines to highlight.

      Man... those transfers... I don't know why GW make transfers they know simply will never fit on the shoulder pad. I normally use sculpted pads for this very reason!

      Delete
    2. If you use a decal softener like Micro Sol, you can get them to flatten out. Place your decal and then brush the Micro Sol over it. Let it dry and then do it again over any bits not lying flat against the curve. In two or three applications, it WILL conform to the shape. It works over surfaces with detail as well, like hatches, etc.

      Putting on too much at once can cause the decal to tear, so that's why I recommend multiple coats.

      Delete
    3. I actually used Microsol and Microset, however the normal crimson fist transfer with the huge circle around the outside of the symbol is just to big for the shoulder pad!

      Delete
    4. LOL... didn't realize that, but Steven mentioned them not lying flat. I usually go for 3D shoulder pads too.

      Delete
    5. Yeah for most transfers it works a treat; but the Crimson Fist symbols look like they're designed to go on the side of a land raider!

      Delete
  3. Cracking work on the Marines!

    The new, clean look that GW has gone with for their marines is a bit of a breath of fresh air and it's getting tempting to pick up a box and have a go!

    All the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankks Dude! I have to say the clean aesthetic is a welcome change. Finally marines look like futuristic super-soldiers again!

      Delete
  4. These look really good. The clean style of the painting really fits the miniatures. I too am glad that they sculpted them without all the skulls and rosettes. I think the green power coils work well with the colour scheme.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Toby! I'm really happy with how the edge highlighting turned out. I actually only painted one model at a time in order to keep me sane! I completely agree; it's nice to have space marines that look like soldiers rather than statues!!

      Delete
  5. Simple models elegantly executed. Very well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Conrad. The sheer simplicity of these guys is what makes them such a joy to paint. I'm looking forward to getting a few more on the paint station!

      Delete
  6. Yes, great job! I've enjoyed painting Primaris Marines as well - they are simply fantastic sculpts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Cheers dude! For the first time in ages painting space marines is not an ominous or potentially daunting task!

      Delete
  7. You still manage to make this look like an easy job when it isn't. Great stuff mate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers JB. I have to say these boys took a long time to paint for a five man squad!!

      Delete
  8. Great job on the sharp highlights! You've been remarkably thorough, even getting the rectangle-with-circle bits round the side of the backpack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mate! Yeah I like to make sure I get everything so the highlights are consistent across the model?

      Delete