Wednesday 12 April 2017

1989 Genestealer Cult Hybrids (Rogue Trader Era)

In a bid to keep myself motivated and productive in terms of overall miniature output I have become something of a hobby butterfly in 2017 and I am bouncing between a variety of different projects in order to maintain my interest. So after last week's foray into the exciting world of dreadnoughts I have switched over to another long term project in the form of attempting to expand my slowly growing Genestealer Cult.



This time I have painted up two more first/second generation hybrids for the cult. I have used the original 1989 plastic hybrids from the expansion to the original Space Hulk entitled 'Genestealer'. Regular readers may remember that I have actually painted up a few of these old school plastics before.


Now it must be said that when I first saw these monopose models all those years ago I wasn't impressed, in fact I thought they were over-simplistic monstrosities that looked more deformed than terrifying; and to be honest these feelings didn't change massively after I'd painted the first couple of models. 

However for some reason this has changed of late and they have started to grow on me! 


I have found with a bit of variation on the arm/weapon options and some different paint jobs these venerable minis can be shaken up a bit in order to provide a fairly good looking force for the table top. For these latest two I created a degree of variety by painting the fleshier parts of the hybrids with two distinct shades of purple in order to show that these are individual creatures as opposed to uniform troops like Space Marines.


For the weapon choices I went for some classic Rogue Trader ranged weapons in the form of a Plasma Gun and a Bolt Pistol from the Ork weapons sprue of that period. I painted these a nice bright red in keeping with the contemporary colour styles that were prominent in the late 1980s/1990s.

When choosing equipment options for this particular force I must be clear that I'm not massively interested in selecting awesome game winning combinations but rather those weapon choices that fit in with the image of a ragtag bunch cultists seizing firearms from wherever they can get access to them.


I have quite a large cult force now and pictured above are all of the plastic-style hybrids that I have added to it so far. As I said previously these old models have really grown on me of late and I am sure I will paint up a few more in the near future.


13 comments:

  1. We have a saying where I'm from: "you can't make chicken salad out of chicken shit." Well sir, you've proven them wrong. Excellent work on terrible models.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha Cheers Mate! That's a great saying; I might have to steal it!

      Yeah I'm quite pleased that with a bit of love and attention these models can actually be made to be fairly decent looking gaming pieces!

      Delete
  2. I have always enjoyed these models for the simplicity and you have really brought out the possibilities in them with your painting skills. Well done on that! Lovely stuff! (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They certainly are simple; but on the flip side it does give a painter/modeller a blank(er) canvas to work on!

      Cheers mate!

      Delete
  3. WOW mate, you've really brought the best from those models like the ones on the cover of the blue catalogue. They surely aren't an easy bunch to work with but you just made them look so good.
    Impressive. ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers JB!! I was hoping to capture that old retro look from the display models at the time; so I am chuffed you said that!

      Delete
  4. What JB said, absolutely.

    Thats as good a paint job as I have ever seen on those... homely sculpts.

    Fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Cheetor!

      I'm glad you like them! I might try and paint a few more up when I get the chance!

      Delete
  5. Hey, you certainly made the most of these. Not an easy work, congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Suber! I just got a few more through the post from eBay so hopefully I'll be adding a few more to the gang!

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete